This was the healthy addition to our Superbowl feast. I am slowing introducing more salad options to my husband and I was pleasantly surprised that he really liked this. The flavors are crisp and fresh and the dressing was a perfect compliment.
I got the inspiration from www.snixykitchen.com/2013/06/10/roasted-beet-and-citrus-salad-with-mustard-vinaigrette/ theirs is much prettier and had a better variety but a bit of improvising with the ingredients I had on hand still made a very tasty salad.
- 2-3 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup shaved Fennel
- 1 fresh orange, peel removed and segments removed from membrane
- 3 small or 2 medium roasted beets chopped or sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon or honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (not pictured)
- ¼ cup olive oil plus more for coating the beets
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Scrub beets well and place on top of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap the foil tightly around the beets (seem on top) to create a bundle. Place the packet on a baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool. Once cool the skin can be peeled easily with a vegetable peeler or pairing knife. Slice the beets.
Layer together the mixed greens, beets, orange and shaved fennel.
To make the dressing – whisk the mustard, vinegar, honey olive oil, salt, and pepper together. The original dressing did not include honey but it feel it really brings the flavor together nicely. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables. Sprinkle with pistachios and serve.